Monday 5 May 2014

Writing tip 22 - attend writing workshops

Well, the strategy of writing myself out of a hole seems to be working, although I don't want to jinx it by overanalysing. For me, creative writing is a bit like my road sense. I'm good at getting lost, but have managed to find my way back. So far. Getting lost has the advantage of seeing things I wouldn't have seen if I hadn't diverted from the track representing the shortest distance between two points, or getting off the track, full-stop. I often think, that looks interesting. What would happen if I followed that thought? Or thought-words to that effect. (I have to say I am also attracted to shiny things in shops!)

The other thing I did this last week was to attend a workshop run by Jaki Arthur from Hatchette and funded through the Australia Council, facilitated by writingWA. I gained a number of positive spin-offs from attending this workshop.

First of all it is a very good thing to gain an understanding of the publishing industry from the perspective of people like Jaki Arthur, who work so hard to promote and present the writers that they represent, and to remember that this will work so much better if the writers are pulling in the same direction as their publishers, once the book is ready to go. It is also heartening to know that the industry is full of such committed and talented people.

The very fact of attending a workshop that supports and challenges existing ideas is stimulating, and gets the brain back into doing what it needs to do to get that book written, and out there. This one was a market development workshop, but the sentiment applies to any other writing workshop, especially if it is able to provide a good balance of new information and participation.

It's inspiring, and encouraging, to meet other writers and to share ideas, stories, letters and cards. Many of these talented people are generously sharing their knowledge through teaching. They conduct workshops and creative writing courses through schools, universities and writing organisations. (And they are excellent value for the cost.) Check out UWA Extension courses, courses advertised through writingWA, the Fellowship of Australian Writing WA, KSP and Peter Cowan Writing Centre - to start. I have included links for all of these.

So that's this week's writing tip. If you are stuck, go to a workshop or two.

2 comments: