Monday 16 September 2013

Book Length Project Member Profile Reg Parnell

I have four major writing projects on the go – two fiction, two non-fiction.

Last December I got an editorial critique on a novel I had been working on for years. Amongst much else, it let me identify some gaps in my writing skills. The work that had been critiqued, named Dunce is in the genre of literary nonsense; as such, it was not a good place to address the gaps in my skill set.
I decided to do two things – undertake a major reading exercise in all things writing, and write a ‘training wheels’ novel where I could apply a more standard set of writers tools. I reasoned that this would let me separate the special problems of writing literary nonsense from the broader deficits in my knowledge and craft. I intend to return to Dunce with my enhanced writers superpowers.
Linsay, my trainer novel, is about a 26 y/o woman who has problems with commitment and acceptance; her goal in life is to be a great painter. I have written 80,000 odd words in seven months, and plan to be finished by the end of August. Linsay has taken on a life way beyond my original intentions: my goal of developing and demonstrating a competent fiction writer’s skill set has been achieved, at least well enough for this story.

Marsupial mole
My non-fiction works are a WA travelogue with a difference, and a book on the marsupial mole, based on an original journal from the beginning of last century that reports a study of the mole.

4 comments:

  1. I like the idea of a 'trainer novel'! What a great way of thinking of it.

    I'm thinking a bit like you: if my first one fails, I'm going to take the time to learn how to do it properly!

    Good on you, Reg, and thanks for sharing. You're going great -- 80,000 words. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your projects sound quite fascinating Reg. You've certainly being doing a great deal of work on them. Good on you! And keep on writing! Looking forward to reading your writing at some stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm really looking forward to seeing the one on the marsupial mole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 80 000 words in 7 months is impressive, Reg. Loving natural history, I'm looking forward to reading about the marsupial mole.

    ReplyDelete