Wednesday 25 September 2013

Progressing the manuscript - confessions of a suburban writer

I have taken to handwriting, however clumsily, every morning when I get up, to simply progress the
plot of my new novel manuscript. In my pyjamas, in my dressing gown and old socks. With a cup of coffee at my side, usually growing cold as the stream of consciousness takes hold.

This stops me -
  • overthinking things
  • getting stuck in editing mode on my computer
  • losing the plot
  • overcomplicating the plot
  • feeling those self-defeating emotions that accompany the process of writing a novel when inspiration is not forthcoming
It's still slow. I type it up and edit over the course of the day, between more cups of coffee and suddenly pressing tasks.

Yes it's working and the plot twists and turns still take me by surprise. I guess the trick now is knowing which paths to follow, and where I need to backtrack.

I wish you all the best, fellow writers, with your own endeavours. Keep writing.


4 comments:

  1. Such a lovely post Iris! Your routine and thinking sound familiar, nice to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marlish, and fresh off the press from a talk that a friend attended this morning with Michael Leunig - "We watch, we wait, we wonder" my mantra for the rest of the week. We don't have to rush ahead. Creativity is something else - I think. But the work has to be present - a little bit, often. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with that sentiment i.e. for the work to be present- a little bit, often. I think it's very important to be quite familiar with your work. So you know what's going on and how to develop in. Also you're in strong position to think about it when not at your desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, seems to be gradually taking some sort of shape. Hope yours is coming along well M.

      Delete