Tuesday 4 March 2014

William McInnes and Sarah Watt - Worse Things Happen at Sea... a great read!

Well I'm not sure if I can include this in my list for the Australian Women's Writers Challenge given that it is a collaborative work between award winning filmmaker Sarah Watt and actor/writer (writer/actor) husband William McInnes, but I don't think it matters. This is the first of my Perth Writers Festival purchases that I have read from this year, and one that I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone.

Worse Things Happen at Sea is a book that celebrates the small (profound) beauty of everyday life and the people that have touched and enriched it. At times it had me laughing out loud (William McInnes really is a very funny man!) and the next minute I was blubbering away, pleased that I'd chosen the privacy of my own lounge room to read.  The one thing that permeates this book is love, in the broadest and best sense of that word, and the understanding that when we approach the world primarily with love, it gives us the courage to see and experience so much more that is positive and good, and to live life more fully, than we could if we were to approach it only with fear.

It's a great read and we (the public) were lucky to have the lovely Sarah Watt in the world long enough for her to tell this beautiful story and to make Look Both Ways and My Year without Sex. We are lucky to continue to have William McInnes to bring us writing and acting that gets to the heart of things, and makes us smile along the way.

2 comments:

  1. I'm tempted by this review--I love a book that makes me laugh as well as cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise. It really is worth reading and the photographs are perfect for it - the actual book as object is lovely to hold. Some of it reminded me of your writing - heart and mind. Will bring to next BLPG

      Delete