Thursday 4 July 2013

A Daily Writing Schedule

Certain things stick in my head, becoming mantras, and as I share them with others, and others do likewise, they can become memes. A successful writer at a workshop I once attended said, "If you want to be a writer, write. You can fix a bad page, but you can't fix a blank page." She went on to suggest that a daily writing practice of as little as 300 words a day will provide you with 365 x 300 = 109,500 words in a year, provided you do what she said, which is to 'write forward' - easier said than done, but a great goal to keep going with new material until the first draft is done. It is possible to do that and still hold down a full-time job, provided you don't want to do anything else like watch television, go on the social media all night, and spend time with your family. Actually it is still possible, but you need to be well-disciplined, want to do it, and have something to say. You can cut that hundred thousand words down to between 70,000 and 80,000 and you have a novel sized book of around 250 pages. Of course, by that stage, they need to be good pages, and the right words in the right order - at least from your perspective.

I think there is value in daily goal-setting, in writing forward and in progressing the story in a linear way. I wish I could do it, but my process seems to consist of (yes) daily writing practice, but not actually writing forward as a general rule, but in fits and starts, and in fact much of the writing is writing within what I already have down. And inside my own head, of course. I do have a daily writing schedule which consists of writing daily. That's it.

This week I started the new novel. Officially. I drew up a plan and stuck it on my wall. I used the table function on my word processor and painstakingly put a new date in every little square. On the first day I spent my time writing in between doing the laundry, dishes, bed, listening to an interview on the radio with a professor of microbiology on bacteria. I checked my emails, and cooked up a big pot of Dahl with some extremely hot chillies. I know all that sounds like skiving off, but I think of it as my thinking time. At the end of the day I wrote in the first little square. I have written in four little squares now. So far, so good. So far, I think I like what I've done, but I'm not showing it to anyone yet. No, not for a while.

Day five. I'd like to write forward, and I probably will - a bit. Knowing the way I go though, there will be a lot of working what I have - already, and that seems to bring new stuff in, as I take stuff out. The net result is inching forward.

Wish me luck. And if you're between projects at the moment why not start one now? Even an average of 100 words a day will get you a novella-sized manuscript by this time next year. 100 'fixed', or even 'bad' ones that you can fix.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, Iris, I'm wishing you luck. But I would seriously advocate that you don't show anyone any of your work in progress until you've got a complete draft that you're as happy as you can be with. Then only show it to the people who can give you decent critical feedback. Don't put yourself in the position where a stray word or a 'ho hum' can put you right off your precious project before it's finished. The whole world can feast their eyes on it once it's in the bookshops, right?
    I do hope you're enjoying the process in the meantime...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am Glen. Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I agree, showing work prematurely is always a risky process. I am reminded of someone looking over the shoulder of a painter and saying, "put a bit more yellow there" thus ruining what might have been. Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better in any work of art. On the other hand, a bit of timely feedback from a more experienced practitioner can sometimes be very helpful.

      Delete
  2. Yes, Iris, I thoroughly agree with everything you've written, once again. Like you say, 300 words a day can easily become a novel and 300 words is not undoable!

    I agree with Glen about prematurely showing your work. I attend a fortnightly writing group where we share our first drafts, writing we have done just prior, but we are not allowed to criticise. We can comment on what is working only. The philosophy is that by commenting on what is working, what isn't working will fall away. This works for a first drafts, and is the only way I could share a first draft.

    Also, I wouldn't get too fussed about only working forwards. Sometimes, I think it's important to fill in the gaps, thicken the soup, layer the story. Otherwise you might end up with a story that is bare bones only. Work whichever way you need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing when to show and when not to show is such a personal thing. I guess the whole point of showing work is to enable the work to progress, but if it is not going to do this, best to let it develop a bit more first. Even positive feedback can somehow take the tension out of whatever it is that drives the need to tell the story sometimes. But I have to say that I did find it useful with the first novel after the first 10,000 or so words, for reassurance as much as anything. Different stories call for different approaches. I like to thicken the soup, and also discover within the soup what the story is really about - too much progress too soon seems to leave the plotline too thin. On the other hand, my particular weakness (of a number) is that I can get very bogged down, and I have to remember to lighten up a bit at times. Louise, thank you for entering the discussion. I always enjoy your thoughts, and am particularly enjoying your blog with the in-depth and insightful book reviews. Looking forward to reading Elemental, but not there yet.

      Delete
  3. 'Thicken the soup' - i love this metaphor.

    I only recently stumbled across this idea that even a small daily writing practice can add up to a book in a year and it has been enormously helpful to me. Before, if I only had an hour to write, I used to think it wasn't worth sitting down, because I might only write a few hundred words and that felt like nothing. But as you say, if we keep at it, day after day, we 'Shawshank' our way to a lot.

    Good luck with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annabel. Frustrating when you're on a roll and get called away, but at least the germ of the idea is down. I like the idea of coming up with something as iconic as Shawshank too. Nice.

      Delete