Saturday 27 July 2013

Bullies and Chair-Kickers

A writer friend recently posted a powerful article on her blog about bullying in a school environment.  It's a situation that makes many of us very angry, and one that is not confined to schools. I have had brilliant colleagues in the past who have been at first lauded, and then as the workplace politics change, harassed and bullied out of their jobs. Someone once told me that she'd been told a particular person had been appointed as a 'chair kicker'. When she asked what this meant, she was told this: "Well, if you walk past someone's chair and you kick it, it is annoying. If you do it often enough they will get up and move. Then they will leave." The strategy seems to be a way of getting around unfair dismissal rules, if they continue to exist. It seems to happen mostly to people who are doing a reasonable job but who do not serve the interests (some might say the self-interests) of those in positions above them. Interesting too, that these kinds of people sometimes rise to positions of some influence and power, and are unburdened by the inconvenience of a conscience or any other aspect of communal responsibility likely to slow them down in their desire to become (somewhat ironically) held in high regard by the community they walk over.

There are probably deep seated reasons for this behaviour - innate and learned reasons, but the fact remains that there is also an element of decision-making and I think that this decision-making is not motivated by feelings of benevolence towards the other, or generosity or a willingness to work cooperatively with the other to grow if there is a problem with the organisational fit given a new direction perhaps. In some cases perhaps there is an element of defensiveness in the bully or chair-kicker born of a lack of skill or competence that, rather than face and address, they project onto others.

Why is she writing this on a blog for writers, you might ask. I suppose it is something that each of us must grapple with when we are writing, what the purpose of our writing might be, whether entertainment and pure art is enough. In some cases I think yes, it is. Then again, when we are made aware of social practices which seem to be increasingly pervasive and negatively impact on many peoples' lives, given that we are in a position to raise concerns about how the ripple effect damages them and all of us, I would say no.

I was listening to a talk by Philosopher and Ethicist Peter Singer who was speaking at a writers festival in Tasmania recently, and he threw out the challenge to writers there to write about the big-picture things that matter - world poverty, animal treatment and climate change. I think the seemingly small-picture nastiness that spreads and consolidates into the harsh attitudes that drive the way these bigger things are acted on, is just as important, and a place where, as writers, we might make a real difference. Refusing to tolerate a bullying culture is a big part of that.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this blog Iris, as it's quite an important one. Bullying. It bewildereds me as to how a bully's brain ticks. I've been astonished at the number of middle-aged women I know who are bullies. It tends to come across as being insistent.Insisting that you do this, behave like that, eat this, wear that, do your job this way. They drive me bonkers, especially when they discovered that their insistence has been wasted on me. Does this count as bullying? It sure feels like it. Marlish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it does, or at least as overly controlling. I guess there are degrees of intention. Sometimes the motivation might be a genuine desire to improve a work practice, although the method results in the opposite of that. I know I tend to dig my heels in if someone tries to force me in a particular direction, even if they think it is for my own good. Sometimes though, I think the motivation is less honest than this and either a deliberate attempt to harm, or an indifference to the human consequences of their behaviour, driven by self-interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me a little of 'tyre kickers', which is a not unheard-of phrase in the automotive world.

    Good of you to bring this topic up. Sanctioned bullying can be as far-reaching in its destructiveness as political oppression, and rather more insidious.

    I have certainly experienced the tension between the imperative to draw on one's individual experience for material, and the fear that that same material isn't sufficiently relevant or significant in a wider social context. There will always be a degree of crossover between the two spheres of experience, even with subtle or nuanced topics, and we are all products of our surroundings and circumstances to a greater or lesser extent. But I do admire those writers who can go out and chase the 'big issues' from the world around them, the one's who look for material from outside the self first. Provided they're not doing it for shallow reasons, like a big splash and an easy sell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not easy to write about big issues without being polemical I imagine. I read Julienne van Loon's book, Harmless recently, and was impressed by her ability to speak so beautifully and subtly about big issues through their embodiment at the level of a family. The personal is political - the universe in a grain of sand. I agree - it's better if it's something you genuinely believe in.

      Delete
  4. Iris, I love this post. Bullying is everywhere and they, the bullies, are rewarded in so many spheres, especially the corporate world. Sometimes I think that's why I like holing up in my little attic with my computer where no one can bully me! (Except maybe Glen! And Marlish!)

    In these blogs, I think you have to write where the energy is for you and the readers will feel it. There's no point faking it, people will pick up if you're inauthentic. But if you write about something dear to you, the energy comes through, as it did in this post.

    The other thing is, don't forget you're not just writing for writers, but also for your readers, and bullying is a very topical issue for everybody. Plus, I love hearing people's opinions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do feel very strongly about this. I get really angry when I see people being 'picked on' or disrespected and I think it is particularly bad in workplaces because they are supposed to be adult establishments. If adults can't behave with some degree of dignity and consideration for others, what have they learned? Thanks Louise. (Glen and Marlish, hope you're listening!!!;-)

      Delete
    2. I've never bullied anyone in my life. But I freely admit that I have become quite a tease in my old age...

      Delete
    3. Old age indeed! You whipper-snipper!

      Delete
    4. Or is it wipper-snipper? Wapper-snapper?

      Delete
    5. I believe it's 'whipper-snapper.' Whipper-snippers are devices for trimming the edges of lawns. I have no idea what a wapper-snapper is, other than to suggest it might make a good title for a combined Hungry Jacks and Fish 'n' Chips dish.
      "Young people don't respect nothin' anymore..."

      Delete
    6. That's it. Knew there was a fish in there somewhere.

      Delete