Tuesday 21 January 2014

Australian Women Writers Challenge

In the last year and a bit I read and commented on a number of books by Australian women writers but did not officially enter this challenge. Those that I read included:
Amanda Curtin - The Sinkings, Elemental
Liz Byrski - In the Company of Strangers
Deborah Burrows - A Stranger in my Street
Kathy Lette - The Boy Who Fell to Earth
Rachel Robertson - Reaching One Thousand
Maureen-Helen - Other People's Country
Trisha Kotai-Ewers - Listen to the Talk of Us
Julienne van Loon - Harmless
Hannah Kent - Burial Rites
Susan Johnson - The Broken Book
I also read Susan Swingler's House of Fiction on an Australian subject and published by Fremantle Press, so I think that almost qualifies.

For 2014 I am making a commitment to read 10 books by Australian women writers, and review at least six of these. The books I will be reading will include:

Marlish Glorie - Sea Dog Hotel, Natasha Lester - What is Left Over After, If I Should Lose You, Annabel Smith - Whiskey, Charlie, Foxtrot, Lynn Allen - Illusion, Deborah Robertson - Careless... and others.

The reading list does not mean I will be concentrating exclusively on women writers, as 2013 included a lot of great books by blokes too, and writers from countries other than Australia, of course, but the challenge ensures that the gender skew in books reviewed in this country is shifted more towards the centre.

Reading inspires and enriches the writing process, and is fun to do. I have included links to the text mentioned above. Well worth checking out, if you haven't done so already.

No comments:

Post a Comment