Sunday 26 January 2014

Writing tip 8 - Aim High

I am referring to the quality of the writing here.

To write something of length that is coherent and interesting is such a difficult thing to do that my feeling is, as writers we should aim to create the best work that we can. This means finding examples of other authors' work that inspires us. It means to read extensively, to be open to learning, and to keep developing proficiency in the craft.

So that is my little tip for this week. Aim high. Never accept second best from yourself. Once you have the first draft, work it, leave it aside, come back to it, work it some more, leave it aside, come back to it, work it some more, and don't stop until you feel really good about it.

For your opus it could take years. Years. But that's ok.

I realise this seems to contradict my last tip, but it's about alternating modes of working. I think.

Writing Prompt

Find a book or piece of writing that represents the best of the kind of work that you want to create. Read (or reread) it and take notes on how the author does what they do. Look at areas of your own work that require more, and try to apply what you have learnt.

2 comments:

  1. Gem of a tip, Iris. I would love to be able to make every single sentence the best that it could be. I noticed that any excerpt I've had to read out to people, or show in any way, reads better. That's because I've edited it thoroughly, probably ten or twenty or even more times than the scenes either side of it. So, when it's back in the novel, it sticks out because it's different. Ideally, I should do that with every scene -- pretend I have to present it as an excerpt, and revise it thoroughly. It does take time, years as you say, and patience, and tenacity ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, thanks for your thoughts. I like that idea. I might try it out myself. I'm the same. If I know I'm sending something away to someone to look at, I keep revising it. Sometimes I do too much and mess it up. Then I have to pare back and simplify. It's the great thing about the craft. You can aim high, but never quite reach it, so there's always something to work towards. Which is great, isn't it?

      Delete