Thursday 12 December 2013

I'm learning French...

Apologies for my accent - or lack of accents! Not sure how to put them up on this English-speaking blog. The spell check doesn't help.


Apparently learning a language other than one's mother tongue is very good for the brain. My tutorial sources - a couple of well-known phrasebooks accompanied by CDs.

Je suis etudiante. Je suis desole je suis en retard. J'ai besoin de trouve une nouveau tete. Je suis seulement australien. J'ecoute le CD dans la voiture, mais je ne comprend pas. Les autres pense que je suis folle. Peut-etre je suis folle. Au secour!

I have so much respect for people who come to an English-speaking country without the language, and who then set about learning enough of it to actually make themselves understood and to understand others. Hats off to you!

One of the things that has occurred to me as I try to get my mouth around the language, is just how difficult it is to engage the equipment needed for speech. It's such a complex skill. The mechanics are difficult, and the tendency is to hear what we expect, and not what is actually there. I actually did do French classes when I was at school, so I thought I would have a basic platform to work from, but it occurs to me that immersion is the only way - hence the constant soundtrack in my car has become the sound of (is it?) an English woman speaking French, and me copying her, trying to get the words right. I spend my drives talking to myself. No Bluetooth.

At least now I know how to say Stop thief! and Can I buy you a drink? What more do you need?

No comments:

Post a Comment