Sunday 22 December 2013

Writing tip 4 - Play. Have fun.

No, not me, but those are my brothers
Now I'm thinking this one should have come before the editing tip, but then again, it should come afterwards, as well. It's one of those things that it's good to remember all through the writing process, because it's play that keeps the spark alive.

Whenever I get stuck, or lose faith in what I am doing, I take some time off and when I come back, I come back to play.

When we were kids we used to use the word 'say' to explore the possibilities of where stories could go.

Kid one: "Say there's this girl called Merry-go-round, and she's always dancing around in circles..."

Kid two: "Yes, and say her brother tries to stop her and say he keeps getting knocked over, and he keeps getting back up and trying to stop her, but say he keeps getting knocked over..."

Kid One: "And say his mum comes in..."

Kid Two: "And say..."

By wandering down the side streets of the imagination - by daydreaming (play dreaming) - the story is progressed. Play can take the project in surprising directions.

So I often give myself a good talking to. And I answer back! My advice to myself is: be foolhardy, be playful. Follow the white rabbit to see where it leads.

Writing prompt

A play conversation without restriction. Really go for it! Take two characters and have a Kid One, Kid Two kind of conversation between them. Play. Have fun. Be as silly as you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment